First game without Koeman, and not a lot changed. But honestly, did anyone expect a different result in just 2 days with Interim coach? Moreover, with that Coach being Sergi, who is far from the best coach out there. For me, coming to this game with 0 expectation was the more logical approach. However, there are also good signs after this match, and I will start with them.
- Gavi and Nico, Nico and Gavi. If there’s a light in this awful season so far it’s them. Last night both of them played well next to Busquets, and they once again prove that we have great future in the midfield. Gavi was arguably the best player on the pitch, until he eventually left the field in the 70th minute.
- Riqui wasn’t great last night, although he did some nice things. However, what can you expect from a player after such a long time in the ‘Pit’ of Koeman? Hopefully he can contribute more.
- Alba and Memphis with a great game yesterday offensively. Alba was very close to score in the first minutes after a magical pass by Gavi. Him scoring this goal could change the whole dynamics of the game. But it seems like we say that every game.
- Sergi isn’t an elite coach, not even close. But his subs yesterday made sense. Moreover, it was great to see Abde with his first team debut.
- Our defense once again got exposed, and the team concede the 1st shot on target again. It also happened vs Rayo, Madrid, Valencia, Benfica and Atletico. Ter Stegen and the defense must improve on that aspect. Playing with a high line of defense means that your defense is more vulnerable. But it’s part of being a Barcelona defender, and the defense must look better.
- Playing with both Mingueza and Dest on the right flank means that the right wing is automatically worse. I get this idea defensively, but it doesn’t make much sense at home vs deep lying defense. I bet that we won’t see it once Xavi takes over.
- Worrying minutes for Kun Aguero, who left the field straight to the hospital for further examinations. He felt his heart beating faster than it should, so it was best to take him out. Recent reports say that he’s fine, but he will have more tests.
- Pique left the pitch with thigh pain, and he’s doubtful for Kiev. Let’s see who can return vs Kiev, with players like Frenkie, Ansu and Dembele all possible to make it to the squad list.
Not a great evening for Barcelona, and another game where our team lose points. 2 more games until the international break and Xavi taking over. But we have to be patient.