Another match, another game of not impressing at all for FC Barcelona. The match yesterday started with a fast goal from Sergi Roberto. But then Barça didn’t turn this into a good game. In his last press conference Koeman started with the excuses again. We can’t bring players, our squad is too big etc.. But in the end of the day, Barça was very close to drop points against Getafe that started the season awful. It was far from a good game, but after the win vs Getafe, Barça are now sharing the 1st position in La Liga with many other teams.
Now, let’s talk about the good and the bad points from the match yesterday. We won the game, so naturally I will start with the good points.
- Frenkie de Jong – What would we do without you? Another great performance for the Dutch midfielder. He’s becoming more and more important for Barça, and the game vs Getafe was no different. The guy was again everywhere in the field. Even yesterday, with a midfield that didn’t look good, he was able to shine.
- It was great to see Ter Stegen back. I know last season he was far from his best form, and yesterday he looked rust too. But he’s still an important player for us, and he adds a passing ability that Neto doesn’t have. Hopefully we’ll see him in his best form soon.
- Jordi Alba was able to assist yesterday. We all know that most of his assist were to Leo Messi, as they had almost blind connection. But it was nice to see him assisting to someone else.
- I was happy to see Sergi Roberto score. With 3 G/A So far this season, Sergi does a good job statistically. I still don’t think that he should start matches for Barça, especially as a midfielder. The best scenario for him should be a rotational player that subs de Jong of Busi sometimes. But I don’t get the amount of hate that he gets. He’s our player, and he’s a homegrown player too. You can think that he shouldn’t play for Barcelona, but don’t hate our player.
- Gavi looks special, and I was happy to see him making his debut. Nico also played, although I think that he still needs to grow in order to be a first-team player.
- Koeman oh Koeman, again. The Dutch can say what he wants about the club’s situation, and having a big squad, and it’s all true. But that doesn’t give to the right to take so many obvious bad decisions. Waiting until the 70th minute with subs when we obviously played very bad since the start of the 2nd half…Other teams will make us pay for that. Moreover, I knew that starting with Sergi – Frenkie – Busi midfield is a recipe for disaster. Hopefully we won’t see that again.
- Griezmann continues to look very very bad. He doesn’t have the excuse of playing alongside Leo Messi anymore, so it looks again like a bad fit. In my opinion, once we have a full squad, Griezmann shouldn’t start for FC Barcelona. Not in this form. And I don’t care that he runs and he’s a hard-working fella. That’s not the reason that the club signed him.
- Once again Riqui Puig is not even warming Up. As I was saying, it’s ok for a coach to prefer other players. But it’s clear that Koeman has something personal against Riqui. I think that he’s better move out on loan. He’s already 22, and another year of sitting in the bench will be very bad for him.
Another 3 points, and it’s always good to win. But the team doesn’t look good at all. We’re going to the international break with many things to work on. And the fact that the next game will be at home vs Bayern is very disturbing.